Women and 5 common gym mistakes
- Doing the same workout everyday: We have over 600 skeletal muscles in the human body. By doing the same workout everyday, not only are we working out on very few but these muscles do not get sufficient time for recovery leading to little or no progress. Not to mention the muscle imbalance created. Vary your workouts everyday, targeting different muscle groups
- Fear of lifting heavy weights: Women hopefully have got over the misconception that we look bulky by lifting weights. Ladies, the chiseled arms that we admire have lifted tons of weights to look the way they do. Another factor is the fear of injury. Women are wary about pulling their back muscle by lifting heavy weights. If you lift with proper form and gradually increase weights, you are safe from injury. Train like a man in the gym
- The Cardio obsession: The common misconception is that the more you sweat, the more calories are being burned. And what better way than sweating it out on a cardio machine. Cardio is great, no doubt . But excessive cardio and sweating is not going to give you the results you desire. Besides sweat is just your body’s way of cooling its rising temperature when you exercise. Read more about Cardio Junkees
- Abs, Abs, Abs: Almost all women want flat Abs. Actually all. And why not ? It makes us look great. But you cannot shrink your waist by doing Ab workouts excessively. The abdominal muscles will get strong but the layer of fat on top of them will stay where it is. Instead , do a whole body intense workout which burns fat at the same time it activates your core. Eat clean .
- Not having a post workout protein: how do you expect your muscle tissues to repair and recover, if you do not put in adequate protein after a workout ? In fact, your post workout meal should be high in protein and it must be consumed within 30 minutes of your workout