This easy Cream of Broccoli Soup recipe is rich, decadent, and full of fresh broccoli florets. It’s an absolute classic and perfect for cold weather!
Prep Time15minutes Cook Time30minutes Total Time45minutes Servings4servings Calories307kcal
1/4cupbutter 3/4cupminced onion1/2 small 1/2cupchopped celery2 ribs 4cupschopped broccoli8 ounces 1/3cupflour 4cupschicken brothdivided 1/2cupheavy creamhot salt and ground white pepper croutons for garnishoptional
1. In a 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add onion, celery, and broccoli. Sauté until softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Whisk in 2 1/2 cups broth and bring to simmer.
3. Simmer until veggies are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes longer. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth.
4. Wipe out saucepan. Return pureed soup to pan. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and cream. Bring to simmer and stir until heated through.
5. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Garnish with croutons if desired.